Saturday, May 05, 2007

Blah, Blah, Blah

The other day I met up with an attorney friend.

He practices commercial law. Mostly corporate.

Is one of your parents an Anglo? I asked. How come your English is so good?

He lived in D.C. for a few years when he was a kid
another friend offered.

Yeah but my English isn't all that great, the attorney chimed in. Sometimes I sit on conference calls with clients - one guy's in London another is in the States and I sit here - and they'll talk for half an hour and I don't understand a single word. I say 'uh huh' and 'I see' and 'yes' every so often. But seriously. Not-a-word.

You're kidding, I say. How in the heck do you get by?

At the end of the half hour I say: So if you don't mind summarizing..? Just so we can all be sure we're on the same page? I usually understand the summary.

This is why he makes the big bucks.

No comments: