Monday, March 12, 2007

The Thin Love/Hate Line


I have very mixed feelings about Israeli doctors.

On the one hand, most I've visited thus far have the bedside manners of rocks.

Example:

Can you tell me what those drops are you just put into my eyes? What do they do?

They help me do my job.

(duhhh. Zen, zen, zen. Breathe. Self-restraint) But do they widen the pupils or...?

Nope.

End of conversation.

Or:

What I'm worried about is losing my eyesight.

Obviously

So I guess the question is whether or not surgery is the best option?

We'll see

End of conversation.

On the other hand...

I'll document your son's medical condition so that it can be written off. That way you won't be billed for the surgery. Otherwise they'll make you pay for it.

Gee. I don't know what to say. Wow thanks.

Don't say anything. Just let me know when you want to schedule surgery.

OR...

I'm not covered yet by my health policy. It hasn't kicked in.

Never mind. I'll treat you anyway. I'm a doctor and that's what I do. It's humanitarian

Wow. I don't know what to say. Gee thanks

Don't say anything. Now go tell the next patient he can come in.

see the conundrum?

2 comments:

Benji Lovitt said...

Ahhh, Israeli doctors. I can't tell you how many campers I've had who've been diagnosed with strep throat by the SECOND doctor. Why the 2nd? Because the first always refuses to even look at their throat. I hate explaining that to their parents.

SavtaDotty said...

I am cowed by most Israeli doctors' bedside manner (lack of) and find their gruff arrogance insulting, but I have come to respect their skill and/but to take more responsibility for my own health maintenance than I did with kinder (and much more expensive) M.D.'s in the USA. In the end, like everything Israeli, it's different, not necessarily better or worse. Just different.