Sunday, June 24, 2007

Still Shocking

In September it'll be 2 years since I made my way back to Israel to live. We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto. No sireee.

This is quite a ways from San Francisco, in fact, when it comes to "PC". So while I've acclimated on many levels to living in these parts, I still get an occasional jolt when I hear someone say something "off-color" or I meet up with behavior generally construed in Western circles as rude.

Heck, why don't I just share?

That's what you call throwing? That's a girl throw! Show us what you've really got....Party entertainer engaging 5-year-old birthday boy during his routine

I need you to check the text and make sure it's not in Palestinian English. (Excuse me? I don't understand what you mean) You know. Put it into proper English without mistakes....1st time dialogue with client needing website editing

My God you've gained weight. Your vote could count twice!... Mayoral candidate speaking to an old girlfriend he hadn't seen in years

Let me see this for a minute... Stranger in line at Sushi Express Tel Aviv grabbing menu from hands

Will you switch places with me? I want my son to have a better view of the performance. Mother sitting one row behind at children's opera program

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To misquote Captain Jack Sparrow, "Welcome to Israel, love!"

Cheer up. I've been here 12 years and I'm *still* not used to it!

SavtaDotty said...

What would the dalai lama do? Laugh!

Stefanella said...

Unfortunately, I have not yet attained His Holiness' capability for zen...slf