Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Armageddon

Bloggers yesterday referred to the date, August 22 or Iran's deadline for indicating future nuclear intentions, Armageddon Day.

Interesting because I am living a personal hell that spiked yesterday.

I blogged last month that during my current visit to the U.S. my apartment was broken into and our cat ran away. Over the past days I have been grappling with a third nightmare scenario: arranging for Atticus, my canine companion of fourteen years, to be put to sleep while we are still away. We return to Israel on Friday but our vet felt she needed to be immediately put out of the pain of struggling with osteomyelitis. Yesterday Attie was euthanized.

The scope and intensity of my emotions bars me from blogging about it right now. However, a wise Yoga instructor helping me cope with my grief advised not looking back over my shoulder. "The here and now is all we have." Exceedingly difficult.

Peace out

7 comments:

SavtaDotty said...

I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to your dog. Amd from so far away. Very sad.

lilfeathers2000 said...

So sorry for you pain.

Stefanella said...

thank you thank you. The kind words, memories and messages coming from friends, family and strangers are an immense source of support and comfort...

Toto said...

a year ago this month we had to put Fonzie down. He was also in a bad state, paralyzed suddenly from a slipped disc. It's not easy to deal with. But like anything, time passes and soon you will be able to smile and remember the good old days. Hang in there....

hugs

Liza said...

I am so sorry to hear about Attie, and can imagine the pain you must be feeling. Our dog is also 14 years old, and though he is in relatively good condition, I keep wondering when he will suddenly start to show his age in a way that may require difficult decisions. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hey. So sorry to read. Hope the flight went well and you (still) feel at home. Dash to Rapha from his buddy Daniel. I started arranging our month' long visit (in December) and feel the itches.

Stefanella said...

Thanks Liza, Hadas, et al...The odd thing is that it didn't happen as feared or imagined. I never could have dreamed such a crazy death scenario and the pain of my own guilt is tremendous. I may foster a displaced dog whose person was wounded in Lebanon. we'll see. slf