Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Gloating

I like my job. I've probably blogged it before but I really do enjoy what I do which is a very lucky thing because were my job filled with tasks I loathe, it would pretty much..um...suck.

One of the reasons I like my job is that I get to learn about all sorts of issues. I also get to meet very very interesting people who have really lived, made history, gone places, influenced the lives of millions...in short, people who have impacted our world in significant ways.

I met one of those people today for a story I'm working on. He was an advisor to the late Prime Minister Rabin, and he effected policy and headed negotiating teams during the Madrid Conference, Oslo II and Camp David.

What was profound about this individual aside from his breadth of knowledge and the wealth of information he offered was his humanness. I would like to believe, based upon my readings, that he is sort of what Yitzhak Rabin must have been like when he was alive. Curious, compassionate, kind and yet decisive, bold and certainly not one to mix words.

Concerning the here and now versus the future vis a vis Israel, the Palestinians and peace my interviewee was doubtful while remaining hopeful. I am for peace. I am always willing to negotiate peace. He shared. I lost my son. So I want peace.

No comments: