Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The End & Beginning



Israeli election results are in and the big surprises are the Likud's demise, a pop-up-out-of-left-field pro-senior rights party and the far right Russian-led Yisrael Beiteinu (Israel is our Home). The lead victors are newly-formed Kadima and Labor who will coalesce. Read this colorful commentary for an overview.

I'm relieved that it's over but couldn't help but notice that as election returns were rolling in last night, the freshly approved Hamas government took time out of their busy schedules to knock off a bit of rhetoric:

The Koran is our constitution, Jihad is our way, and death for the sake of God is our highest aspiration ...leading Hamas lawmaker Hamed Bitawi

Charming. And I returned to HLC (Holy Land Central) - referred to by P.J. O'Rourke in Holidays in Hell as "God's Monkey House" - because....???

Back to this side of the Green Line (which is, by the way, who I voted for: Green Party i.e. environment. They did horribly which is a damned shame)... Now comes the work of rolling up the sleeves and forming a government. I write that as if I'm wearing my power suit and tie and about to head into a coalition meeting in five minutes. They'll form the government in Jerusalem. I'll go the kitchen and fix myself a sandwich and another cup of coffee.

Stay tuned...And don't forget to watch the Total Solar Eclipse! 2 a.m. San Francisco time, noon Tel Aviv local and 5 a.m. on the right coast. Watch via live feed on this site and get info from NASA here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! Solar eclipse.