Thursday, July 27, 2006

A Day @ The Ranch

I hesitated to input this entry because yesterday was a sad, shit day back in Holy Land Central. My daily goings-on seem trivial. I think about parents and children and my own son and our future. And all the while, I miss home. Home being Holy Land Central.

That noted, I'm blogging my day anyhow because...just because.

Yesterday I drove from San Fran due north to lunch with friends/work associates who toil at Lucas Ranch. Skywalker Ranch is its proper name. It's the creative and work venue of George Lucas. No I didn't see him. He's apparently in Europe at present moment.

I did see, however, the pristine white mansion or "Main House" - an office space (HIS office space)/dining area/relic display fashioned after a sprawling Southern mansion with beveled glass windows, a wrap-around porch, stained glass skylights, original oil paintings by Norman Rockwell et al and a two-floor oak library.

Set completely inconspicuously amidst the rolling hills of Nicasio California, the 4700 acre (nearly 20,000 dunam) ranch also houses horses, barnyard animals, a few thousand employees, The George Lucas Foundation and Industrial Light and Magic. I was itching to stare boldfaced into the security camera at the gated entrance and proclaim: "Edna Mode". Wrong movie. Wrong production house.

After touring the ranch and dining on grilled shrimp over cous cous with grilled zucchini, Kalamata olives and marinated artichoke hearts, my friend/colleagues showed me some of the Star Wars relics housed in glass cases: original Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker light sabers, the model images of Jaba the Hutt and Boba Fett and numerous recognition awards for outstanding film achievement.

We then moseyed to my friend/colleagues' offices and then to the gift shop to purchase a few memorabilia.

I could go on and on about the setting, the feel and the impression. This is special stuff, it was a wonderful, unique opportunity and the day was fab. But my heart hurts, the timing is off and I'm torn between wanting to return home to HLC and wishing I could remain on perpetual vacation, not wanting to face the mood and atmosphere there.

No original images of the ranch to share, unfortunately. Against security rules. Over & Out.

2 comments:

Tamar Orvell said...

hi neighbor! i'm down the road at san jose at the www.blogher.org conference. lots to share over many a hafuch. when do you return to HLC? any updates on the break in? i'm still hurting for you on that. xoxo

Stefanella said...

Hi honey. I'm back in the East...Hope you're enjoying the conference. Read about it ages ago..enjoy! slf