Friday, January 26, 2007

Flying Solo

I'm a single mom. I've mentioned it here on occasion but haven't really gone into detail because...well some things just feel like they should be kept private. Or at least for the time being. That's not to say I haven't wanted to share insights, particularly with women or other parents considering stepping over into single caretaker mode.

For now, though, I'm pleading the 5th. To clarify: I love my lifestyle and the choice I made despite its challenges. Apropo challenge, I'm paraphrasing the following portion of an e-mail message received from a family friend - a single mom raising two kids. It resonated deeply.

I still don't have cable tv. I had to put our house up for sale and the only reason we had Christmas in 2005 was because a nice lady at work bought my boys toys. She was our angel that year.

I had to ask my dad for money, once again, so that I could keep my house by paying off the loan for my 1997 Dodge with over 150,000 miles on it. It's the same car I still drive.

My credit is shot and I've had my electricity shut off. Our air conditioner quit last summer and we sweat it out; It's still not fixed. My parents bought the boys shoes, coats and many dinners. I picked up a second job.

You have no idea what it's like to be a single mother with two kids and two jobs.

No comments: